Letter case problems encountered when migrating application

I have been asked to migrate a web application that has been developed by another programmer, from one web hoster to another one.

The source and destination web host both run Linux. I used my Windows workstation to download the application from the source and uploaded it to the destination. After setting the file permissions, paths, database, and config files, the application was running smooth again, except … for an error in a specific part of the application.

After hours trying to figure out how to fix that error, I finally found out what caused it. When downloading the application, my FTP client FireZilla silently merged the two folders ‘PHPExcel’ and ‘phpexcel’ into ‘PHPExcel’, as Windows doesn’t permit the same folder names with a different letter case – Linux does …

Haven’t seen this kind of programming habits in many years.

About Sijmen Ruwhof

Independent IT Security Researcher / Ethical Hacker
This entry was posted in software development. Bookmark the permalink.